Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Unlocked

I wanted to clear some things up today that I think so many need to hear.  As Debby and I have been preparing our hearts and lives for our mission adventure in Uganda, the response has prompted me to say some things.  As I have been sharing my heart and vision for our family's role in Uganda, there has been an overwhelming response of, "wow!!  Africa???!!!!  WOW!!!".  Many will go on to tell me how awesome that is and how they wish their lives were straightened out like mine.  These are individual conversations that I need to have with each one, but I want to lay some things out for everyone. 
First of all, I have never, nor will I ever consider myself to be a great man.  I am certainly not a superhero who has just changed his life and now hobnobs around the world looking to be some do gooder with a social agenda.  I am very much a man like you.  I am man who has suffered the scars of my parent's divorce and used that tainted lens to filter the input and output of his everyday life.  I am a man who has at times known the right thing to do and chosen to suppress the truth and not participate in righteousness.  I am a man who has been riddled with failure and sin.  At times it seemed as though my life was more of a burden to God than a value.  I struggled with these things for a long time and by my estimation, I was and I am powerless to change these things.  So are you, I've seen every self-help initiative known to men and so many of them have the greatest intention, but I'm here to tell you that there is one Way to be purified.
At my absolute worst, Jesus found me.  He didn't require the finest things of me, He didn't require me to get clean before I came to Him.  I was forgiven much.  He met me with words such as this, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid".  I was a rebel and I warred against this God for a large chunk of my life and He responded with His arsenal of grace. As I write this I am floored by His grace and His forgiveness.  He won a total victory and I couldn't be more grateful.
Because of what He did, I am free and I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am loved for who I am.  That changes everything.  I want to do what He asks because I just love being near Him.  That is the richest fullest life I can ever know. 
I don't know where you are, if I were to guess, you have been or are in a place where you are stiff-arming Jesus.  Let me encourage you today to just drop all things at His feet, it is so worth it.  Nothing on earth can compare to just moments in His presence and He promises that He will never leave you nor forsake you. Blessings to you and feel free to let me know how I can pray for you. 
brother JW

2 comments:

  1. Amen J! I love you and how much you love Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why we all love ya so much! You just tell it straight out! So many of us are scared to just let go of all & trust the direction God wants us to go! Continuing to pray for y'all!

    ReplyDelete