Saturday, January 6, 2018

Band of Brothers--Jireh Wu


I love Luke 6:40.  A disciple is not greater than his teacher, but everyone when fully trained will be like his teacher.  I like this because it sets a wonderful pattern of continued discipleship that replicates itself long after you and I are gone.  We currently have 31 Band of Brothers and Band of Sisters leaders that are working within the leadership circle.  26 of those are in Uganda and the other 5 have gone out into the world to lead in different capacities.  I am so remarkably proud of them all and am looking forward to being back with them as we continue to lead and disciple students who will lead and disciple students and so on and so on.
I want you to meet some of these leaders and so today, I am introducing you to Jireh Wu.  I was able to do an interview with Jireh and so please enjoy:

My name is Jireh Wu, I am 14 years old, I grew up in Singapore but I’m not Singaporean, and so I don’t know my true nationality (all I know is that I’m Asian). I am currently living somewhere in Africa and I am having a great time. I am a student in an international school called Heritage international school. I used to be Mr. Williams’ student, but then he left us and went back to America (cue crying sounds).

1. Tell me some things that you like and some of the things that you find challenging about being at an international school.

Well, I like being able to meet people from all over the world, get a taste of the culture, and laugh at how different our traditions can be. Being able to brag about how you have friends all over the world is also a bonus. The only thing I don’t like is how people come and go from this school because maybe their parents have a new contract somewhere, or God is calling them to go somewhere else. I’ve had at least 10 good friends leave and go to another country and that is sad.

2. What was the first thing that went through your mind when you met Mr. Williams and that you had him for Bible?

When I first heard about Mr. Williams, I just thought of him as another guy who teaches Bible. But then when I saw him, I could tell that this guy is a person who is very friendly and open to everyone. And he was

3. What does it mean to you to be a Brother in the Band of Brothers leadership circle and how does it effect you daily?

Well, being in the Band of Brothers leadership circle has really affected me spiritually, because being promoted to become a brother makes you responsible for setting an example of a Christian to the other students. And so you sort of “make” yourself focus on God even more than usual.

4. What would you say that you are most passionate about within the Christian life?

Hmm…. I think what I’m most passionate about within the Christian life is representing Christ by doing things that honor God like helping a kid who is being teased or helping a teacher carry books.

5. What are some practical real life changes that you have seen over the past three years that you really thank God for?

So I have this really good friend whose parents were missionaries, but he didn’t really believe in God himself. His life did not portray Jesus’ image at all. So I prayed that he would gradually come to know God more and to love him. He… has changed recently. He started to become more and more Christ-like, so I thank God for that. I wouldn’t say that he is 100% loving God and stuff, but he is starting to grow.

6. What was the last thing that went through your mind the last time you saw or heard Mr. Williams?

Mr. Williams, I really miss you, and I hope that you will come back soon. I know that many people are feeling the same way as me. That is always the thought the crosses my mind when I think of you. Oh by the way, if you don’t come back during May, I will personally hire all the clowns in America to come terrorize you until you come back (I remember that you hate clowns). Just kidding I wouldn’t do that, but please come back soon…

Jireh, I am incredibly proud of you.  It has been a pleasure and a privilege to walk with you and day life with you during our time working together in Uganda.  I am praying to be back with you and the other leaders and all of our students and staff in June (please no clowns, lol).
Our excitement and our anticipation continues to grow as we see what God is doing and we eagerly anticipate what He will do.  Through these students, God will continue to draw young men and women into deep relationship with Himself.  So proud of all of you!  So very very proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment