Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Sabbath, The Need And The Tension In Between


Ever since I landed here in Uganda, I've had a ruthless struggle that exists within my soul.  The reality of living in a third world country is quite different than living in America.  As we have adjusted to so many things, the pace of adjustment keeps a steady level of stress and tension on our lives.  We didn't know how strong that was last time, but we can see it in all aspects of our lives this time.  Couple that with what we see and experience on a daily basis and it doesn't take long to realize why the burnout rate is so high in the mission field.  Well meaning believers who have been given a God ordained vision for mission, land in the field and want to accomplish everything overnight.  Yet forgetting the Sabbath can and often is our undoing.
The number one question that I get from teammates, friends and family abroad and concerned believers is this:  Are you going to be able to keep that pace?  This is a Sabbath question and it is the most valid question that people who love you can ask.  Do we do a lot?  You better believe we do.  I recoil at the thought of coming into the mission field and leaving anything on the table undone.  I want people to know Jesus Christ and the freedom that he brings.  I want people to experience what it means to be unfettered and to have unchangeable sin patterns in their lives, crushed and done away with.  I want people to know that God brings hope where there is only hopelessness and that oppression flees from His presence.  I want them to know Jesus in an intimate way.  I want an eternal future for those to whom I am called to minister, I want it more than anything.  I want them to know that in their lowest lows and highest highs, that He holds them and loves them.  I want to see men and women from rejoicing, and every fiber of their being shouting out joyous thanks to Him.  I want the lost to found, the broken be healed, the spiritual lepers healed and the Lord glorified above all.  You see, I've been all of these things and yet He rejoices over me and holds me close.
So here you see the dilemma.  I know that I need to rest and recover way more often than I do.  Yet I have the above in my gas tank and I never hit empty.  So what is the answer?  Maybe you can tell me what has worked for you.  Yes, honor the Sabbath, but once it's over, make sure that His agenda is in drive. 
I love the way He's made me and I love that I am in His hands.  I don't work for my salvation, but for the joy that is set before me.  I work for those who need to know Him so that on that Day of Days we will rejoice together in His presence.  I want that place to be so full and that is why I push so hard.  Would love to hear from you on this.  It's no secret that I certainly over do it at times.  Pray for us that we would honor the Sabbath and work very hard the rest of the time.  That's what we believe we've been called to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment